Monday, July 14, 2008

Hitting 6 Frogs With 1 Stone

Today is a Tuesday and I’m still on a high.
You must be intrigued how I did that right? 7 birds with 1 stone is simple. It’s just a matter of knowing how to “Eat That Frog!” For the record, it all happened last night.

I am currently organizing a benefit event due next month – that’s my passion. But, I also do have a regular 8-hour day job. Of course I cannot bring my passion at work because it will keep me unfocused. I don’t even want that to happen. It’s my way of balancing things. I am sometimes tempted but I don’t entertain on taking the risk. Anyways, I started my day right. I did what Brian Tracy tells in his book “Eat That Frog!” – organize and plan your day ahead.
So, I basically spent only 4 hours the recent weekend on planning my week. With that habit, it saved me more time right now and I can now juggle two responsibilities (my day job and the upcoming event) with focus. So, I did the usual ‘frogs’ in my day job and ended it with flare. I was also swamped with a task to meet-up with the bar owner by 8 p.m. last night to update each other about the progress of the event. So, I went to the bar and met up with the bar owner. The first bird was the bar owner.

Now, as I went around the bar to do some ocular inspection, a guy from afar was screaming my name. I didn’t see him clearly because the entire place was dim. So, I approached his table and saw that it was one of my event sponsors. He was with his 2 guests from other states and introduced me. By catching up with each other, I utilized my charms and chatted about the upcoming event. He then committed for a major sponsorship as well as, his other guests who were apparently marketing heads of reputable companies. Whoa! I got 3 birds in one sitting.

Partial total number of birds = 4. I am actually enjoying the spontaneity of the night.

Now, as I left their table, I saw the band manager for my event sitting alone. Since my adrenalin was still high, I was in the verge of closing deals. I went to his table. He was surprised when he saw me since we haven’t seen each other for the longest time. We updated each other and closed a pretty good deal – another bird down.

When I was about to leave the bar, the bar owner called and asked me to stay for a while. I wasn’t in a hurry so I stayed. She then introduced me to the Regional head of a global beverage company who was sitting on an intimidating group of CEOs and high positioned personalities. He looked at me straight in the eye and asked me briefly about my upcoming benefit event. I started with the event beneficiary, the concept, the target market and their mileage. He smiled back looking convinced and asked me to fax a letter to his personal office line and follow it up two weeks before the event. I was lucky to be given the opportunity to discuss my concept informally. By applying the principles of “Eat That Frog”, it made my informal presentation concise and straight to the point. I really came out of my shell. I now consider the 6th bird down.

With a “stone” (goal), all 6 birds went down. Now, I have to prioritize which task to do first. But, I don’t feel the need to fret for I am brought to light by Brian Tracy’s book, “Eat That Frog!”

No comments: