Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Technology Can Pull You Down

“Beep!” sounded my blackberry. “Ding Dong!” rang the bell in my mobile phone. A machine voice speaking out of my Mac book, “You have 888 new emails!” over and over again, these devices have been sounding off and alarming me for more than 15 times in a minute. I can’t stay in focus with my job because I get tempted to check who has messaged me. I love it but it’s not doing me any good. I may say now that technology is bringing me down. It makes me attend more to these gadgets and work less. What a distraction!

Brian Tracy’s spanking hit, “Eat That Frog” discussed how turning every technological device OFF will make you work efficiently and focused. I believe that but how can I check my messages, my emails, etc. if I turned everything off or even in silent mode. I would still feel the “itch” to even peek at it. But, “Eat That Frog” tells how you can manage your time efficiently. It makes you earn extra FREE hours by just doing your tasks with focus.

So, I’ve tried it one day and see if I can stand it. What I did was to break everything to me gently was to designate 15 minutes every 3 hours to check my messages. By golly, it really worked! I get my work done in less time and still afford to check my mails. I guess I wanted to learn the hard way and tried it myself. What’s ironic about it was when I accidentally left my mobile and blackberry in a cab two days ago and I’m honestly enjoying it. I do still have plans to purchase a new one. But, it amazes me how simple life can be without these technology devices.

No comments: